Ophiopogon – Black Dragon Grass
- A most unusual, but almost indestructible, ground-covering, grass like plant
- The black strappy leaves are a great foil for bold, bright and brash flowers
- Very slow growing and spreading, producing pretty little purple flowers
- Ideal for modern pots and planters with other foliage colours
- Supplied as a pack of 3 two-year-old plants in 9cm pots
- SKU: 5021285/5021285
Delivery In 10 to 14 Days
This has to be one of the toughest and most indestructible garden plants– fully hardy, no maintenance required at all, and you can walk all over it! Despite being called a 'grass', Ophiopogon is in fact a strappy leaved perennial. It is one of the very few so-called 'black' plants that are actually black– a year-round matt black backdrop to set off bolder and brighter garden features. It is a very slow-spreading, carpet-forming plant, and can remain undisturbed for years, eventually forming a fair-sized clump. You can then chop it up with a spade in spring and create many more plants for free! Superb when interplanted with small perennials, use it also as groundcover, be it in shade or sun, drought or wet– it is also great in modern mixed container plantings. Easy to grow and fully hardy, this plant is a real time saver, its evergreen colour a fabulous foil for bright golds, oranges and limes. Fully deserving its coveted RHS Award of Garden Merit, you can be sure that this is a proven garden performer, guaranteed to be suitable for UK gardeners at every level of experience. You can therefore plant this in the garden with confidence, for stunning displays for many years to come–a versatile little gem!
- Best grown on a rock garden, container or raised bed so that it can been seen to full effect.
Planting Advice for Ophiopogon Black Dragon Grass:
- Plant in well-drained soil in full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Before planting, water your potted plant well.
- Dig a hole a little deeper and 3 x wider than the nursery pot.
- Add a soil conditioner such as well-rotted manure to the earth removed from the hole if necessary.
- Remove the plant from its pot and tease out a few of the roots.
- Place your plant in the hole at the same level at the pot.
- Refill the hole with the earth removed (backfilling) and firm the soil with your hand, avoiding the root ball.
- Water well and mulch around the base of the plant with a collar, compost, gravel, bark etc.
Aftercare Advice for Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens':
- Potted plants will need regular watering.
- In autumn, top-dress plants with leaf mould.
Pruning advice for Black Dragon Grass:
- Rake out any old, tired or dead leaves and flowers in spring.
- If needed plants can be cut back by up to half from April to July - do not cut back in autumn or winter.
May - June
About You Garden
Established for over 50 years, our award winning trusted plant supplier are based in South Lincolnshire. Their experienced team take care of a wide variety of both native and continental plants.
This product benefits from a specialised plant shipment service and is delivered directly from the supplier. All products are packaged with extreme care and transported in specially designed plant containers. Delivery is only available to mainland England and Wales (see delivery exclusion information below) for this product. Please be aware when ordering multiple plants they may be arrive on different dates. This is due to some of the products being dispatched from separate warehouses to ensure the best conditions for delivery.
Delivery exclusions: Regrettably we are unable to deliver to: AB, BT, DD8-11, GY, HS, IM, IV, JE, KA27-28, KW, PA20-80, PH19-50, TR21-25, ZE. Order received to excluded delivery location will be automatically cancelled and refunded.
Please note: Plants and trees are classed as perishable goods and are excluded from our returns policy. This does not affect your statutory rights. See our Cancellation & Returns page for further details.
In the unlikely event that you receive your goods damaged or you have been sent the incorrect item, please report your issues to our customer service team within 24 hours. Perishable goods cannot be returned unless we have sent the wrong item, or they are damaged.
Sorry, no reviews are available as this moment