Cherry Bush 'Porthos' - Single Pot Grown Bush
- Bears deep red cherries
- Winter hardy
- The delicious fruits are super sweet
- A bush variety that makes picking the fruit much easier
- SKU: 5021167/5021167
Cherry Bush 'Porthos' - Single Pot Grown Bush
RRP: £27.99 Our Price: £22.99
Delivery In 7 To 9 Days
This is simply a completely new way to grow cherries, one which were it not for the persistence of an enthusiastic breeder may never have seen the light of day. It is simply the first bush cherry, as opposed to a tree, so forms a nice neat clump of many fruiting branches right from the base - and as a result does not get too tall, making picking really easy. It yields well, is 100% self-fertile, and has the iconic spring cherry blossom too - so makes the perfect garden cherry. Growing fruit tress enhances the well-being of the environment and that of you and your family. Crops of fresh, heathy fruit right on your doorstep while replenishing the tree population and reducing plastic consumption.
Supplied as a 3L pot grown bush, branching, and ready to plant all year.
- Pot-grown shrubs can be planted at any time of the year as long as the soil is not waterlogged or frozen. If in doubt, err towards spring but remember to keep pots well-watered so that the soil does not dry out. Birds will quickly strip the ripening cherries from the tree - drape netting over cherry trees to protect the fruit from birds.
- Best grown in moderately fertile soil in full sun. Also perfect in large pots on a patio - 30cm diameter or larger and keep well watered.
- Shrub roots generally tend to spread out rather than down, so dig a planting hole 3 x wider than the roots of the shrub you're planting, and mix some well rotted compost or manure with the soil from the hole and use this to re-fill one the shrub is in place.
- We've found that a square hole is better than a round one as the new roots, once they reach the edges tend to grow in a circle round the circumference of the hole whereas when they reach the corners of a square hole, they find it easier to grow through.
- Before planting soak container-grown shrubs thoroughly and allow to drain.
- Remove the plant from its pot and tease out a few of the roots
- Add Mycorrhizal fungi to the roots when planting to help plants establish quicker.
- Place your shrub in the hole at the same level at the pot
- Refill the hole with the earth removed (backfilling)
- Firm in the soil with your heel, avoiding the root ball
- Water well
- Mulch around the base of the plant with a collar, compost, gravel, bark etc
- Apply a slow-release fertiliser such as blood fish and bone in early spring, and mulch to retain moisture, about a month before flowering.
- Established trees don't require radical pruning to keep them fruiting, just take off any diseased, dying and damaged branches, (the three Ds) in spring. Look at the overall shape and aim for an open structure of branches and remove any that cross over so they don't damage each other. Trim longer new shoots back mid-summer for better shaped trees.
- Harvest crops as soon as they ripen. Avoid leaving windfalls or over-ripe fruit on the ground.
- Don't forget the tree guards as rabbits can strip the bark overnight.
April - May
July - August
About You Garden
Established for over 50 years, our award winning trusted plant supplier are based in South Lincolnshire. Their experienced team take care of a wide variety of both native and continental plants.
This product benefits from a specialised plant shipment service and is delivered directly from the supplier. All products are packaged with extreme care and transported in specially designed plant containers. Delivery is only available to mainland England and Wales (see delivery exclusion information below) for this product. Please be aware when ordering multiple plants they may be arrive on different dates. This is due to some of the products being dispatched from separate warehouses to ensure the best conditions for delivery.
Delivery exclusions: Regrettably we are unable to deliver to: AB, BT, DD8-11, GY, HS, IM, IV, JE, KA27-28, KW, PA20-80, PH19-50, TR21-25, ZE. Order received to excluded delivery location will be automatically cancelled and refunded.
Please note: Plants and trees are classed as perishable goods and are excluded from our returns policy. This does not affect your statutory rights. See our Cancellation & Returns page for further details.
In the unlikely event that you receive your goods damaged or you have been sent the incorrect item, please report your issues to our customer service team within 24 hours. Perishable goods cannot be returned unless we have sent the wrong item, or they are damaged.