Bottlebrush Plant Callistemon Citrinus
- Has eye-catching fluffy red cylindrical flowers in late spring and summer
- It produces the most delicious lemony citrus scent as you brush past it
- Very versatile, perfect in the lawn, against a wall, fence, or in large pots
- Callistemon will grow to about 1m tall and is extremely drought tolerant
- Supplied as an established 3 year old plant in a 2.5L pot approx. 50-60cm tall
- SKU: 5021296/5021296
Bottlebrush Plant Callistemon Citrinus
Delivery In 10 to 14 Days
Who could resist touching the fluffy red cylindrical flower heads that drip from the branches of this evergreen shrub during late spring and summer? Not many. But this native of Australia has more going for it than just its 'stroke me' qualities. The tiny leaves that cover its arching branches release a delicious lemony scent when brushed, and its arching branches provide all year round interest. Wherever you plant it its perfect as specimen in the lawn, grown against a wall or fence, or planted in large pots. A real sun lover, give it the brightest spot possible. You need to water a bottlebrush for its first season, but when established plants are extremely drought tolerant. Despite heralding from warmer climes this plant is incredibly tough and will easily cope with temperatures down to -50C. Protect it in harder winters by covering with fleece or grow in pots so it can be moved indoors (a shed, front porch, garage or conservatory would be ideal).
- Callistemon will flower best when grown in full sun in moist but well drained soil in a sheltered position away from cold winds.
- Outdoors, Callistemon (Bottlebrush) look great in mixed borders especially if combined with other drought tolerant plants such as salvias and lavenders.
Planting Advice for Callistemon Bottlebrush:
- Generally unfussy as to soil, poor soil benefits from the addition of plenty of organic matter.
- Once established plants don't need special attention and are generally problem-free.
- Pot-grown trees can be planted at any time of the year as long as the soil is not waterlogged or frozen.
- Dig a square planting hole 3 x wider than the roots of the shrub you're planting and mix some well-rotted compost or manure with the soil from the hole and use this to re-fill once the shrub is in place.
- Before planting soak container-grown shrubs thoroughly and allow to drain.
- Remove your Callistemon from its pot and tease out a few of the roots.
- Add Mycorrhizal fungi to the roots when planting to help plants establish quicker.
- Place your tree in the hole at the same level at the pot, refill, firm, and water well.
- Mulch around the base of the plant.
- Plants can also be grown in a pot using a good quality soil-based compost.
Aftercare Advice for your Bottlebrush:
- Although drought-tolerant, Callistemon requires regular watering.
- Feed with a general-purpose liquid feed in the growing season and top dress in the spring.
- Callistemon can get out of hand under glass so restrictive pruning may be necessary to keep their shape.
- Hardy in the UK down to -4°C! In very exposed sites, a fleece cover and mulch will see them safely through the winter. Potted plants can be moved to a cool conservatory or greenhouse.
Pruning Advice for Callistemon:
- Lightly prune after flowering to keep them under control, cutting just behind the spent bloom.
- Callistemons in general don't like hard-pruning, so just remove spent flowerheads immediately after flowering, or trim new growth to maintain shape.
June - July
About You Garden
Established for over 50 years, our award winning trusted plant supplier are based in South Lincolnshire. Their experienced team take care of a wide variety of both native and continental plants.
This product benefits from a specialised plant shipment service and is delivered directly from the supplier. All products are packaged with extreme care and transported in specially designed plant containers. Delivery is only available to mainland England and Wales (see delivery exclusion information below) for this product. Please be aware when ordering multiple plants they may be arrive on different dates. This is due to some of the products being dispatched from separate warehouses to ensure the best conditions for delivery.
Delivery exclusions: Regrettably we are unable to deliver to: AB, BT, DD8-11, GY, HS, IM, IV, JE, KA27-28, KW, PA20-80, PH19-50, TR21-25, ZE. Order received to excluded delivery location will be automatically cancelled and refunded.
Please note: Plants and trees are classed as perishable goods and are excluded from our returns policy. This does not affect your statutory rights. See our Cancellation & Returns page for further details.
In the unlikely event that you receive your goods damaged or you have been sent the incorrect item, please report your issues to our customer service team within 24 hours. Perishable goods cannot be returned unless we have sent the wrong item, or they are damaged.