Pride of Madeira' Echium Candicans - Single Over-Wintered Plant
- Produces the most spectacular indigo-coloured flower spikes in summer
- It self-seeds in a small area
- Truly spectacular biennial shrub
- Supplied as an over-wintered plant in a 2L pot
- SKU: 5021146/5021146
Online Exclusive - Delivery In 14 Days
A truly dramatic garden plant, a close relative of borage, it produces the most spectacular tall flower spikes seemingly from nowhere in summer. It is biennial, so needs one cold winter after germination to flower - so these plants will flower in their first year and beyond. Once your echium has established and flowered, it will self-seed prolifically and, unless we have a really harsh winter, you will never have to plant another as you will always have plenty of seedlings. Bring the warm glow and bright colours of the Mediterranean into your garden without the cost of a plane ticket. Mediterranean plants are a good way to create a strong focal point that will have visitors talking about and admiring for a long time.
Supplied as an over-wintered plant in a 2L pot, between 30-50cm tall.
- After flowering, the stalk will quickly brown and die off but don't be in a hurry to cut it down until the autumn to allow the seeds to disperse.
- If your plants are shy to bloom, try a high potash feed, and if in pots, move to a larger pot. Also keep well-watered through the summer of their first year to promote flowers in the second year.
- Grow pride of Madeira in full sun in soil that is poor to moderately fertile and well-drained - highly fertile soil may reduce flowering.
- Established plants are tolerant of drought, wind and salt so make ideal coastal plants - although in times of drought, they do appreciate extra water.
- Protect from hard frosts, especially in spring when the flower spikes are beginning to develop.
- Hardy to -5C when kept dry, you will still need to provide winter protection to avoid frost damage to leaves.
- Tall flower spikes may need additional support.
- Touching the foliage may cause a skin irritation, so wear gloves when pruning or handling.
March - May
September - October
April - August
About You Garden
Established for over 50 years, our award winning trusted plant supplier are based in South Lincolnshire. Their experienced team take care of a wide variety of both native and continental plants.
This product benefits from a specialised plant shipment service and is delivered directly from the supplier. All products are packaged with extreme care and transported in specially designed plant containers. Delivery is only available to mainland England and Wales (see delivery exclusion information below) for this product. Please be aware when ordering multiple plants they may be arrive on different dates. This is due to some of the products being dispatched from separate warehouses to ensure the best conditions for delivery.
Delivery exclusions: Regrettably we are unable to deliver to: AB, BT, DD8-11, GY, HS, IM, IV, JE, KA27-28, KW, PA20-80, PH19-50, TR21-25, ZE. Order received to excluded delivery location will be automatically cancelled and refunded.
Please note: Plants and trees are classed as perishable goods and are excluded from our returns policy. This does not affect your statutory rights. See our Cancellation & Returns page for further details.
In the unlikely event that you receive your goods damaged or you have been sent the incorrect item, please report your issues to our customer service team within 24 hours. Perishable goods cannot be returned unless we have sent the wrong item, or they are damaged.
Sorry, no reviews are available as this moment