Pawpaw Fruit Tree Asimina Triloba - Single Established Plant
- A garden-worthy plant that will give a long season of interest
- Burgundy-purple, cup-shaped flowers followed by edible fruits
- Long lime-green leaves turn golden-yellow before falling in the autumn
- Hardy to -10°C, the Paw Paw will form a highly ornamental multi-stemmed shrub
- Supplied as an established plant in a 3L pot ready for immediate planting
- SKU: 5021361/5021361
Online Exclusive - Delivery In 14 Days
A decorative shrub that can be grown outside, the pawpaw is a garden-worthy plant that will give a long season of interest. The show begins in spring, when the deep burgundy-purple, cup-shaped flowers burst from their buds in May. With an unusual form, they consist of 6 petals - 3 outer and 3 inner - giving a delightful show that always gets attention. These are followed in hot summers by oval, edible fruits that colour up from yellow to a rich ochre - think of the colour of a ripe banana. The long lime-green leaves then dominate the show, gradually turning golden-yellow before falling in the autumn. Tasting like a cross between a banana and a mango, pawpaw is said to have a sweet custard-like flavour which makes them a great delicacy - however, you're unlikely to see them commercially grown as plants can be male, female or hermaphroditic. Although they have both male and female reproduction parts, they are not self-pollinating and need pollination from another unrelated pawpaw tree. Hardy to -10C, the Pawpaw benefits from a warm position in the garden such as a sheltered, south-facing wall where it is best grown as an ornamental multi-stemmed shrub. While plants can reach up to 8m in their native US, they're more likely to attain a modest 4m here in the UK.
Supplied as an established plant in a 3L pot ready for immediate planting.
- Pot-grown shrubs can be planted at any time of the year as long as the soil is not waterlogged or frozen. If in doubt, err towards spring but remember to keep pots well-watered so that the soil does not dry out.
Planting Advice for your Asimina triloba Pawpaw tree:
- Grow Paw Paw in a sunny, sheltered site in well-drained, preferable acid soil. Protect from frost and winds.
- Paw paw trees need well-draining soil that is high in organic matter so if your soil is heavy, then you can improve drainage by adding sand or grit.
- Dig a planting hole 3 x wider than the roots of the shrub you're planting and mix some well-rotted compost or manure with the soil from the hole and use this to re-fill once the shrub is in place.
- We've found that a square hole is better than a round one as the new roots, once they reach the edges tend to grow in a circle round the circumference of the hole whereas when they reach the corners of a square hole, they find it easier to grow through.
- Before planting soak container-grown shrubs thoroughly and allow to drain.
- Remove the plant from its pot and tease out a few of the roots.
- Add Mycorrhizal fungi to the roots when planting to help plants establish quicker.
- Place your shrub in the hole at the same level at the pot.
- Refill the hole with the earth removed (backfilling).
- Firm in the soil with your heel, avoiding the root ball and water well.
- Mulch around the base of the plant with a collar, compost, gravel, bark etc.
Aftercare advice for Asimina triloba:
- The paw paw tree likes to be kept in continuously moist soil.
- Keep plants well-watered while they establish.
- Hardy to -10°C, protect from cold winds as it is these that tend to cause the most damage to young plants.
Pruning Advice for Pawpaw:
- Pawpaws require no special pruning; only occasional maintenance is needed to remove any growth that has been damaged over winter.
February - November
May - June
About You Garden
Established for over 50 years, our award winning trusted plant supplier are based in South Lincolnshire. Their experienced team take care of a wide variety of both native and continental plants.
This product benefits from a specialised plant shipment service and is delivered directly from the supplier. All products are packaged with extreme care and transported in specially designed plant containers. Delivery is only available to mainland England and Wales (see delivery exclusion information below) for this product. Please be aware when ordering multiple plants they may be arrive on different dates. This is due to some of the products being dispatched from separate warehouses to ensure the best conditions for delivery.
Delivery exclusions: Regrettably we are unable to deliver to: AB, BT, DD8-11, GY, HS, IM, IV, JE, KA27-28, KW, PA20-80, PH19-50, TR21-25, ZE. Order received to excluded delivery location will be automatically cancelled and refunded.
Please note: Plants and trees are classed as perishable goods and are excluded from our returns policy. This does not affect your statutory rights. See our Cancellation & Returns page for further details.
In the unlikely event that you receive your goods damaged or you have been sent the incorrect item, please report your issues to our customer service team within 24 hours. Perishable goods cannot be returned unless we have sent the wrong item, or they are damaged.
Sorry, no reviews are available as this moment