Musa Basjoo - Japanese Banana
- A good statement plant
- Fan like leaves spreading out will create wonderful shadows on your patio
- Hardy to -6C when protected
- If planted into a large pot it will create a real tropical feel to your garden
- Supplied as 30cm+ tall in a 1L pot
- SKU: 5021160/5021160
Online Exclusive - Delivery In 14 Days
- Over time, your banana will produce small offsets at the base. These can either be left to form a clump or separated off and grown on.
Planting Advice for Banana Musa basjoo:
- When growing outdoors, choose a site that is sheltered from the wind both for winter protection and also to prevent leaves being shredded.
- Plant in late spring, in a well-drained soil, that has been enriched with plenty of organic matter.
- Once plants are established, water and feed generously through the summer as they are greedy feeders.
- Musa basjoo, can be left in situ over winter, although we do recommend that plants are wrapped to protect from cold weather.
- If this is not an option for you, then they can be grown in a large pot and moved under cover after the first frost has blackened the leaves.
When growing bananas in containers:
- Grow in a soil-based compost, such as John Innes No. 3 with extra grit added to improve drainage.
- Container-grown plants need ample watering during spring and summer months plus a weekly feed during the spring and summer with a general-purpose liquid feed, or a controlled-release fertiliser.
- In autumn, over winter plants in a frost-free greenhouse or conservatory and reduce watering and feeding - watering only when on the dry side in winter.
Aftercare Advice for your Hardy Banana Musa:
- Pot on in spring either once a year, or every other year. Increase pot size by 5-7.5cm (2-3in) initially then once established in 30cm (10in) pots, increase size by 10-15cm (4-6 inches) every two to three years.
Pruning Advice for Japanese Banana:
- Little pruning is needed. Just cut away old leaves near their base and, when wrapping up plants outdoors for winter, some stems may need to be cut back.
March - August
About You Garden
Established for over 50 years, our award winning trusted plant supplier are based in South Lincolnshire. Their experienced team take care of a wide variety of both native and continental plants.
This product benefits from a specialised plant shipment service and is delivered directly from the supplier. All products are packaged with extreme care and transported in specially designed plant containers. Delivery is only available to mainland England and Wales (see delivery exclusion information below) for this product. Please be aware when ordering multiple plants they may be arrive on different dates. This is due to some of the products being dispatched from separate warehouses to ensure the best conditions for delivery.
Delivery exclusions: Regrettably we are unable to deliver to: AB, BT, DD8-11, GY, HS, IM, IV, JE, KA27-28, KW, PA20-80, PH19-50, TR21-25, ZE. Order received to excluded delivery location will be automatically cancelled and refunded.
Please note: Plants and trees are classed as perishable goods and are excluded from our returns policy. This does not affect your statutory rights. See our Cancellation & Returns page for further details.
In the unlikely event that you receive your goods damaged or you have been sent the incorrect item, please report your issues to our customer service team within 24 hours. Perishable goods cannot be returned unless we have sent the wrong item, or they are damaged.
Sorry, no reviews are available as this moment