- A fantastic variety for a small or medium garden because of its compact size
- A delightful specimen plant for cottage garden style planting
- Blooming from April in a rich eruption of colour on the bare branches
- Dark purple-red buds open to reveal maroon, lightly scented tulip-shaped flowers
- An established plant in a 2L pot, ready for planting out
- SKU: 5021370/5021370
Delivery In 10 to 14 Days
A fantastic variety for a small or medium garden because of its compact size, Magnolia 'Genie' makes a delightful specimen plant for cottage garden style planting or as a focal point in a large tub. Blooming from April in a rich eruption of colour on the bare branches, the dark purple-red buds open to reveal rich maroon, lightly scented tulip-shaped flowers. Much more floriferous than similar varieties, the blooms will hold onto their colour longer and in ideal conditions Genie can flower repeatedly for a few months. Make space in your garden for this hardy, deciduous magnolia, and Genie will grow into an upright shrub around 3m x 2m, rewarding you with a glorious display every spring. Sure to be much in demand this year, we supply an established plant in a 2L pot, ready for planting out.
- Magnolias don't like transplanting, so choose it's final position with care.
Planting Advice for Magnolia 'Genie':
- Grow in well-drained soil in full sun, provide shelter from cold winds which can damage the buds.
- Water your potted plant well.
- Dig a hole a little deeper and 3 x wider than the nursery pot.
- Add a soil conditioner such as well-rotted manure along with some ericaceous compost to the earth removed from the hole.
- Remove the plant from its pot and tease out a few of the roots.
- Place your plant in the hole at the same level at the pot.
- Refill the hole with the earth removed (backfilling).
- Firm in the soil with your heel, avoiding the root ball and water well.
- Mulch around the base of the plant with a collar, compost, gravel, bark etc.
Aftercare Advice for your Magnolia 'Genie':
- Water 'Genie' well and regularly for the first few months until established.
- Do not allow plants to dry out in the first season after planting. Once established, they will become much more tolerant to a lack of water, as the root system develops.
- Once planted, keep the area free of competing weeds.
- Apply a general-purpose fertiliser and a generous layer of mulch around the base of the plant after planting and thereafter annually.
Pruning Advice for Magnolia 'Genie':
- There is no real need to prune, simply remove any broken, diseased or crossing branches in midsummer when the tree is in full leaf.
February - November
April - June
About You Garden
Established for over 50 years, our award winning trusted plant supplier are based in South Lincolnshire. Their experienced team take care of a wide variety of both native and continental plants.
This product benefits from a specialised plant shipment service and is delivered directly from the supplier. All products are packaged with extreme care and transported in specially designed plant containers. Delivery is only available to mainland England and Wales (see delivery exclusion information below) for this product. Please be aware when ordering multiple plants they may be arrive on different dates. This is due to some of the products being dispatched from separate warehouses to ensure the best conditions for delivery.
Delivery exclusions: Regrettably we are unable to deliver to: AB, BT, DD8-11, GY, HS, IM, IV, JE, KA27-28, KW, PA20-80, PH19-50, TR21-25, ZE. Order received to excluded delivery location will be automatically cancelled and refunded.
Please note: Plants and trees are classed as perishable goods and are excluded from our returns policy. This does not affect your statutory rights. See our Cancellation & Returns page for further details.
In the unlikely event that you receive your goods damaged or you have been sent the incorrect item, please report your issues to our customer service team within 24 hours. Perishable goods cannot be returned unless we have sent the wrong item, or they are damaged.