Aronia Arbutifolia 'Brillant' - Single Established Plant
- Dainty white flowers are produced in abundance in spring
- Clusters of edible red fruits and fiery autumn colours
- A fabulous specimen tree with year-round interest
- Said to enhance overall wellbeing
- Supplied as an established plant in a 3L pot ready for immediate planting
- SKU: 5021360/5021360
Online Exclusive - Delivery In 14 Days
This deciduous shrub is a relative of the pear and mountain ash and is very hardy and easy to grow. Perfect for planting in a shrub border, Aronia is also ideal when situated in a woodland garden. Dainty white flowers of Aronia ‘Brilliant’ are produced in abundance in spring and these are followed by clusters of edible red fruits and later by fiery autumn colours which all make for a fabulous specimen tree with year-round interest. Known as chokeberries because of their tart flavour, the edible berries can be eaten fresh on their own or used as an ingredient in desserts, compotes, pies, juices and tea. With a higher antioxidant levels than other berries, the bright fruits are low in sugar and also contain beneficial vitamins and minerals said to enhance overall health and wellbeing and with one of the highest levels of anthocyanins (the pigment in the berry that gives them their colour), chokeberries are becoming increasingly labelled as a superfood. As you would expect, the edible berries are a favourite with birds and the flowers are visited by early pollinators making Aronia very popular with wildlife too.
Supplied as an established plant in a 3L pot ready for immediate planting.
- Pot-grown shrubs can be planted at any time of the year as long as the soil is not waterlogged or frozen. If in doubt, err towards spring but remember to keep pots well-watered so that the soil does not dry out.
Planting Advice for your Aronia arbutifolia 'Brilliant':
- Grow in full sun to partial shade in fertile, moist well-drained soil. Protect from frost and winds.
- Dig a planting hole 3 x wider than the roots of the shrub you're planting and mix some well-rotted compost or manure with the soil from the hole and use this to re-fill once the shrub is in place.
- We've found that a square hole is better than a round one as the new roots, once they reach the edges tend to grow in a circle round the circumference of the hole whereas when they reach the corners of a square hole, they find it easier to grow through.
- Before planting soak container-grown shrubs thoroughly and allow to drain.
- Remove the plant from its pot and tease out a few of the roots and add Mycorrhizal fungi to the roots when planting to help plants establish quicker.
- Place your shrub in the hole at the same level at the pot and refill the hole with the earth removed (backfilling).
- Firm in the soil with your heel, avoiding the root ball and water well.
- Mulch around the base of the plant with a collar, compost, gravel, bark etc.
- If you're planting into pots, place some old rocks, stones or gravel in the bottom of the pot for drainage and ballast.
- Use the best compost you can buy and some sand or grit for drainage.
Aftercare advice for Aronia 'Brilliant':
- Keep plants well-watered while they establish, especially if planted up in a pot.
- Fully hardy, you'll need to protect from cold winds as it is these that tend to cause the most damage to young plants.
Pruning Advice for Aronia:
- Aronia require no special pruning; only occasional maintenance is needed to remove any growth that has been damaged over winter.
February - November
April - May
August - September
About You Garden
Established for over 50 years, our award winning trusted plant supplier are based in South Lincolnshire. Their experienced team take care of a wide variety of both native and continental plants.
This product benefits from a specialised plant shipment service and is delivered directly from the supplier. All products are packaged with extreme care and transported in specially designed plant containers. Delivery is only available to mainland England and Wales (see delivery exclusion information below) for this product. Please be aware when ordering multiple plants they may be arrive on different dates. This is due to some of the products being dispatched from separate warehouses to ensure the best conditions for delivery.
Delivery exclusions: Regrettably we are unable to deliver to: AB, BT, DD8-11, GY, HS, IM, IV, JE, KA27-28, KW, PA20-80, PH19-50, TR21-25, ZE. Order received to excluded delivery location will be automatically cancelled and refunded.
Please note: Plants and trees are classed as perishable goods and are excluded from our returns policy. This does not affect your statutory rights. See our Cancellation & Returns page for further details.
In the unlikely event that you receive your goods damaged or you have been sent the incorrect item, please report your issues to our customer service team within 24 hours. Perishable goods cannot be returned unless we have sent the wrong item, or they are damaged.
Sorry, no reviews are available as this moment