Acer Shirasawanum 'Moonrise'
- A compact, deciduous shrub with a loosely-rounded habit
- Easy to grow and maintain
- Creates a kaleidoscope of colour in the garden
- Said to be more resistant to leaf scorch than other acers
- Supplied as an established plant in a 3L (NB Decorative pot not supplied)
- SKU: 5021336/5021336
Online Exclusive - Delivery In 14 Days
Acer shirasawanum 'Moonrise' is a compact, deciduous shrub with a loosely-rounded habit, grown primarily for its decorative leaves - although winged red fruits develop in late summer and can be seen swirling to the ground as they ripen in autumn. The palm-shaped leaves are sharply-toothed and emerge bright-red when young, maturing to a fresh yellow-green before turning orange and red in the autumn - making a colourful kaleidoscope of colour in the garden. 'Moonrise' is ideally suited as a focal point in your garden and is especially useful to illuminate a partially shaded border. Said to be more resistant to leaf scorch than other acers, we do recommend that you provide some shelter so that you can enjoy the striking foliage at its best. Please note that the decorative pot shown in the images is not supplied.
- Leaf colour is best in partial shade, although full sun can be tolerated. Leaf scorch can be caused by lack of soil moisture or excessive exposure to wind.
Planting Advice for your Acer shirasawanum 'Moonrise':
- If your soil is slightly acidic, then you have the perfect conditions to grow Japanese maples - however do not worry if you have not as most can be grown in other soils as long as they are not wet, dry or very alkaline.
- If growing in a pot, use a 50/50 mix of ericaceous and multipurpose compost if you can - although again don't worry overly about this.
- If planting in the garden, prepare a wide hole and loosen the soil with a fork, incorporating organic matter as needed to improve moisture retention and condition.
- Plant your Acer so that the top of the root ball is just slightly below ground level.
- Fill the planting hole with soil and heel well in. Water well.
Aftercare advice for your Acer shirasawanum:
- Leaf colour is best in partial shade, although full sun can be tolerated as long as the plant is well watered.
- Avoid exposed places as leaves can suffer with windburn (scorch), especially if the plant is dry.
- Allow your Japanese Maple to get used to a whole day in the sun by starting it off in the shade, then standing it in its final sunny spot (in pot or in the garden soil) for one hour longer every day for a week.
- Water regularly and deeply.
- Feed with our specialist Acer feed.
- Mulch every couple of years with well-rotted garden compost or well-rotted manure or leaf mould.
Pruning advice for your Acer 'Moonrise':
- Acers generally do not need pruning, just remove any branches that are dead or damaged.
February - November
About You Garden
Established for over 50 years, our award winning trusted plant supplier are based in South Lincolnshire. Their experienced team take care of a wide variety of both native and continental plants.
This product benefits from a specialised plant shipment service and is delivered directly from the supplier. All products are packaged with extreme care and transported in specially designed plant containers. Delivery is only available to mainland England and Wales (see delivery exclusion information below) for this product. Please be aware when ordering multiple plants they may be arrive on different dates. This is due to some of the products being dispatched from separate warehouses to ensure the best conditions for delivery.
Delivery exclusions: Regrettably we are unable to deliver to: AB, BT, DD8-11, GY, HS, IM, IV, JE, KA27-28, KW, PA20-80, PH19-50, TR21-25, ZE. Order received to excluded delivery location will be automatically cancelled and refunded.
Please note: Plants and trees are classed as perishable goods and are excluded from our returns policy. This does not affect your statutory rights. See our Cancellation & Returns page for further details.
In the unlikely event that you receive your goods damaged or you have been sent the incorrect item, please report your issues to our customer service team within 24 hours. Perishable goods cannot be returned unless we have sent the wrong item, or they are damaged.
Sorry, no reviews are available as this moment